The Troupe is a highly competitive, audition-only group that is led by brilliant artist Maggie Portman. The group was founded in 2017 and is for fourth and fifth grade students only. This group meets on Thursdays from 4 to 6 PM and on Saturdays from 12 to 2. The students Perform two musicals per year at The Skokie Theatre, in December and May. Each student will be provided with a costume, a microphone and they will perform with full production values—wonderful sound, lights, props and costumes and a beautiful set. The students will learn how to work collaboratively, and in class they will learn character development, choreography and how to work and connect with their peers. This is a wonderful precursor to The Ensemble.
- Everybody must re-audition each year, so that they can re-engage and show their growth and commitment; and also because each year we lose our fifth graders because they age out of The Troupe and a new group is formed.
- Auditions for The Troupe are typically in May or June for the coming school year.
- We do not announce the December show until August at our welcoming pizza party, because we choose the show after we cast the group.
- We announce the May show on the closing night of the December show.
- We hire professional choreographers to choreograph our shows
- There is a stage manager, and assistant stage manager and Maggie has an assistant.
- The kids will learn the music with a live piano. They will not have to learn it from a recording.
- Every child is given two comps per semester for the show
- Included in your tuition are two T-shirts, one for each production
- We do not recommend auditioning a cappella. We hire a live Accompanist for our auditions, please bring sheet music in your key, properly mark it, and put it in a binder.
- Please bring a picture and resume to your audition. Please make sure there is contact info on it. The picture does not have to be professionally done. A picture is typically 8 x 10, but again, it does not have to be 8 x 10.